Monday, July 25, 2011

Coffee Comparison

Despite mixed reviews from testers, I really like the espresso bar I made before. Mostly I love how rough the coffee grinds are. LP suggested I designate this a men's soap... I got two coffee-based scents from BB: Turkish mocha and chocolate espresso. I wanted to test them side by side with the same recipe, but I forgot that a 2:1 water discount sets too fast. The recipes are identical except the water content.

I wanted to deviate from my normal recipe and use up some of the other oils in my fridge. I also thought including cocoa butter would be nice and add to the chocolatey scent of the soap. So here are the two recipes, which you'll note have a respectable conditioning value.

Chocolate espresso:

- combined at 50C
- 24g of chocolate espresso fragrance oil
- 20g of coarsest freshly ground coffee
As I mentioned earlier, this set way too quickly. It was a paste by the time I transferred, and I had to use a spatchula to get it into the mold.

Turkish mocha:

- combined at 50C
- full oz (~28g) of turkish mocha fragrance oil
- 20g of coarsest freshly ground coffee
This was pretty reasonable, and I think I'll generally stick to a water discount of 2.5:1. I could pour it just fine, and it solidified by the following day.

No comments:

Post a Comment