Sunday, April 24, 2011

Lavender

Using the same recipe as OMH bar from 4/8/11. 3h bake time at 150F, followed by at least 12h in oven.

Added Lavender and Herb fragrance oil from BB and an absurd amount of lavender (20g). Hit trace, added the FO, restored trace, then hand-stirred the lavender buds in.


I have a number of different lavender scents from BB, I want to do a side by side comparison and figure out which is best. Perhaps I won't devote a full batch to each lavender, but will divide the next one up in two.

The 20g of lavender may have been too much. I think next time I could do with half that amount and a bit of oatmeal. Also, for some reason, the lavender turned brown. The lavender I got from Rishita stayed purple, even with the hot processing. Maybe this is justwhat BB's low grade lavender does.

The scent is pretty nice, very similar to the previous batch using CS's lavender FO.

UPDATE (7/3/11): Ok, adding 20g of lavender is not a good idea. The bar is way too crumbly. 5 or 10g should be more reasonable. Also, I can't stand that it turned brown. I'm not sure what to do with a lb of lavender, but I know I can't use it for soapmaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment